2 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c sugar
1 t. baking powder
½ t. baking soda
6 T. chilled butter, cut into pieces
¾ c. heavy cream
1 large egg yolk
1 t vanilla
2-3 T whole milk
3 T. sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
3. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl
4. Add the butter pieces and work it into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until the mixture resemble small peas.
5. In a separate bowl whisk together egg yolk, heavy cream and vanilla.
6. Pour into the butter mixture, stirring continuously until the dough becomes sticky and everything is incorporated.
NOTE: The KEY is to handle the dough as little as possible!
7. Press dough into a circle that is 1″ thick. Cut into wedges and place on baking sheet.
8. At this point you can either brush the tops of each scone with milk and scatter with sugar or wait until after they are baked and drizzle a simple icing on it
9. Bake for 20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown
Fun Concoctions to try:
Add any one of these at step 6
A. Mini-Chocolate Chips with orange zest or extract is super.
B. Cinnamon chips
C. Craisins and 1 tsp cinnamon
D. Blueberries (fresh or frozen) with or without lemon zest
E. Dried cherries